Once the priorities are taken care of -- God, wife, kids, other people, work -- it's time for writing. The goal is to be pithy, entertaining and educational. There are no rules here on Alton One except for the rules you create for yourself. I like this, and so that is why I'm choosing this spot to tell my story. I will publish either a chapter of Alton One, a short story, or a poem every other Monday. Feel free to critique the crap out of my stuff, because the way to better writing is through both writing and open criticism.
I will set the following goals for every short story or chapter:
- Want: What does the main character want? Establish this ASAP!!!
- Obstacle: What is standing in the way of the main character getting what he wants?
- Action: What does the main character do (physical or emotional conflict) to get around the obstacle to get what he wants?
- Resolution: How does the main character resolve his conflict
- Show, don't tell: Show the character's adventures, don't just say what he does